Tuesday, February 5, 2008

"JUST LIK A MORMON!!!"

I was watching a video today on Youtube. It was a reply, put up by FAIRLDS (FAIRLDS.org) to an anti-Mormon video entitled The Bible vs. The Book of Mormon. I was reading some of the comments left by 'passionate' viewers and I read one; I wish I could say it 'shocked' me, but unfortunately I see the same type of comments all too often. The comment read,

Just like a MORMON!! The BIBLE IS TURE and the BOOK OF MORMON IS FALSE!!! MORMONS LIE! LIE! LIE! LIE! LIE! LIE! The Video The Bible vs The Book Of Mormon IS TRUE AND ON THE NOSE!!!!! MORMONS ARE LIERS!!
I can understand being passionate about something, but passion should not turn into such unadulterated hate. Although, it seems to happen all too much. I think personal beliefs and ideals are wonderful, but when one lets them push he or she into extremism and into such prejudicial practices, there is a big problem. I assume the author of such an 'articulate piece of work' is an adult (I hope dearly no child is already tainted with such bigotry, remember children are pure and innocent - D&C 93:38), if they are, that is a serious problem. They sound as if they are throwing a temper tantrum. If I was to act in such a behavior (I mean back when I was in diapers) my father would have taken me over his knee so fast... Personally I look at an 'argument' like this and try as I might I just cannot take it seriously, and I hope that others who read it do not either. I hope and pray that others look at such comments and can see the hate from which they stem, and hate for what reason? Did the Church somehow horribly, horribly wrong this person? What is the personal vendetta that so many have with the Church? The only reason I can come up with is jealousy. Perhaps they are jealous and wish too that their families can be sealed together for all time and eternity; perhaps they are jealous of those who are able to walk in the Lord's house, which was restored in this last dispensation; perhaps they are jealous of the laying on of hands and the gift of the Holy Spirit through baptism by fire... Well I all I have to say is don't be jealous. Come unto the Church bask in these wonderful gifts God has bestowed upon us.

I don't mean to sound rude, and I don't mean to pick on this comment too much, especially over others (trust me this is a fairly typical type of comment); but if you are going to discuss the LDS Church, the least you could do is formulate your arguments with correct grammar and spelling. I know the Bible and the Book of Mormon are true. I'm not sure about either being "ture"... but I just hope the commenter isn't trying to insult the Bible... because I'm a big fan.

"Just like a MORMON". I don't know this person's experience with Mormons, but honesty is one the Church's highly coveted principles. I have never met with a Bishop for a Temple Recommend but I have heard that one of the questions that are asked is about one's honesty in all their dealings. Also Article 13 of the "Articles of Faith" states "We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men...". Honesty is a key principle that all members try to uphold. How can the author of this comment make such a inaccurate and utterly false claim? I'm not trying to make the argument that every member of the Church is a 'saint' (the Church title I think says that well enough), just like in all groups/institutions there are some who do not quite practice all the principles to their fullest, but the majority of members are devote and follow the 'Articles of Faith' as well as the other commandments of Christ. Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints cannot be labeled "LIERS" (again the author has such a way with words...); there is no precedence or evidence to support such an asinine claim, in fact, the evidence, which is present, proves the opposite: the Church is all about honesty, not lying.

Now I think if I were to hear you say, 'you're just like a MORMON!', well, gosh, I'd take that as a compliment; I mean you think I'm hard working; true to my convictions; believe in the good of all people;
I am continually "obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law"; I practice healthy behavior; I hold the utmost respect for my fellow man; I am "honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous..."; I am enduring; I seek after the things that are "virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy"; etc. I'd simply be flattered if you thought I was "Just like a MORMON".

Just in case any of you lot were wanting to watch the video I was, the link is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkLX6WdRyA0 (sorry to all those at BYU... can't really do too much about Youtube...)

No comments: