Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Power of Prayer

Prayer is a powerful thing (probably one of the most general statements ever). But in all seriousness prayer is immensely powerful. It is our means of conveyance to Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. How lucky are we to be able to directly talk to God? I can bear my testimony of how well prayer works. Many times in my life have I prayed and asked for help. This may not sound like a big deal but my father and brother were about to drive our two 'jet-skis' (really a Seadoo Bombardier and Yamaha Waverunner) back to the marina which was a little ways away. The problem was a big storm was moving in, it was pouring like crazy and I could see many lightning strikes out at sea. I was slightly worried... so I prayed, I prayed for the safety of my father and brother. And not three seconds after I said "Amen" the clouds opened and the sun seemed to pierce the storm, for it immediately stopped, rain and all. Now some would call that coincidence perhaps; but I knew, I felt the Holy Spirit as I prayed and I knew my message got through.

Now the aforementioned anecdote is just an example of prayer that was answered somewhat immediately. Prayer, from my experience many times takes a bit longer to receive an answer. Have faith and be patient, 'good things come to those who wait'.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is heavily driven by prayer. The restored Church of Christ was founded on prayer. A young boy named Joseph Smith Jun. read a verse in the General Epistle of James, "if you lack any wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally... But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering" (James 1:5-6). Because of a boy's simple prayer the world changed forever. The Book of Mormon also shows how important prayer is,

"For if ye would hearken unto the Spirit which teacheth a man to pray ye would know that ye must pray; for the evil spirit teacheth not a man to pray, but teacheth him that he must not pray. But behold, I say unto you that ye must pray always, and not faint;... ye shall pray unto the Father in the name of Christ, that he will consecrate thy performance unto thee, that thy performance may be for the welfare of thy soul" (2 Nephi 32:8-9).

Lastly one of the most important prayers I've ever made was posed in the Book of Mormon, by Moroni, "Behold, I would exhort you that when ye shall read these things... and ponder it in your hearts. And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost. And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things" (Moroni 10:3-5)

One cannot just pray... "Pray always, lest you enter into temptation and lose your reward" (D&C 31:12). One needs to keep commandments, have faith, do good that allows them to have the Holy Spirit really bless them with its presence.
"I would that ye should be humble, and be submissive and gentle; easy to be entreated; full of patience and long-suffering; being temperate in all things; being diligent in keeping the commandments of God at all times; asking for whatsoever things ye stand in need, both spiritual and temporal; always returning thanks unto God for whatsoever things ye do receive" (Alma 7:23).

One also needs to 'do'; one cannot simply sit and wait for things to happen, God helps those who help themselves right?

I am writing about prayer tonight because my family has been having some trouble. My mother just told me, "we just need to pray; just say a prayer." My parents instilled in my brothers and I, at a young age, a great priority when it came to prayer. They taught me its power, and the Church only furthered that lesson.

1 comment:

Craig said...

I just had my own experience with prayer. We've been traveling from Texas to Utah for the past few days. And last night, Utah got thumped with a huge storm. Last night, we prayed that the Lord would temper the weather so we could arrive at our destination safely. When we woke up this morning in Cortez, Colorado, it was snowing. We almost stayed there. But we prayed and felt things would be alright. Once we left Colorado, the roads were perfect.

It's true. The Lord does answer prayers.